One goal of business professionals is to generate leads from their websites. There are many methods for locating and capturing new customers and clients. However, many marketers starting out tend to spread their marketing efforts too thin. It is essential that business professionals realize that lead generation is a process. To be more effective at generating leads, we will explore
1.) Traffic generation methods
2.) Different types of lead capture methods
3.) Lead generation fundamentals
4.) Techniques and guidelines you can implement today to improve the performance of your lead generation efforts.
Traffic Generation Methods
The key to generating quality leads is to generate a high volume of quality traffic. To generate web traffic, I have listed below six website marketing activities that will help you increase leads to your website:
- Events – Events can include live seminars or online webinars. You can hold either of these functions, and provide a call to action to your lead generation website.
- Content - Generating traffic through content is cost effective, but can also be time consuming. It consists of writing articles and submitting them to directories, blogging, or creating newsletters about your product or service.
- SEO – Using search engine optimization and website marketing techniques to send you huge amounts of free traffic, is a great way to generate leads for your business.
- Direct Mail – Craft direct marketing pieces such as using print newsletters, or send direct mail postcards addressed directly to your targeted lead.
- Online Paid Advertising – Through the use of ad networks, such as Google AdWords, or MSN Ad Center, you can utilize paid advertising methods such as Pay Per Click (PPC).
- Value Incentives – By offering a value incentive you are pre-qualifying your lead. Value incentives come in the form of free reports, free downloads, or free access to your website in exchange for a visitor’s name, and email address.
Types of Lead Generation Tools
One problem online business professionals have is figuring out which lead generation tool to use. There are many styles of lead generation capture pages you can use. They include:
- Squeeze Page – Squeeze pages are used for the soft sales method. Use squeeze pages to give your potential leads a teaser of what to get. Use the value incentive to increase the probability of converting that lead.
- Launch Page – The launch page is a sequence of events or activities all based off of one main marketing page. The launch page may consist of instant access to free videos or reports.
- Landing Page – The landing page is similar to the squeeze page. However, this page is usually used in conjunction with an advertising link. Here, the content of the ad is similar to the content provided on the landing page.
- Splash Page – Splash pages are more graphical in nature. There is a direct call to action to fill out a lead capture form to access the information.
Each page serves the same function, which is to capture leads. However, each has unique characteristics, but the fundamental elements are the same.
Lead Generation Fundamentals
Now that you have learned about the basic types of lead generation tools, it is essential to understand the essential elements of a lead generation page. From your site, you should always ensure you have the following fundamental lead generation pieces:
- Headline – Provide an inviting headline that will entice your client or customer.
- Sub-Headline – Provide direct information about what the product or service is about and how it will benefit your leads.
- Web Copy – The web copy should not be in paragraphs, unless you are using a sales page. Keep the messages short and preferably in five or six bullet points. The goal here is to focus on the benefits of the product.
- Value Incentive – Create a short report, free downloadable software, or provide instant access to part of your site. Ensure that your offer is relative to your main product. Your goal is to provide an item of high value in exchange for an individual’s 1.) Name and, 2.) Email address.
- Call to Action – The call to action should be a large “Click Here” style button. This is the button that will provide instant access, or allow your lead to submit their name and email address.
- Auto-Responder – This is what ties your lead generation strategy all together. Ensure you have a quality auto-responder which will allow users to safely and securely opt-in to your offerings.
Lead Generation Techniques and Guidelines
Now you are armed with the tools, resources and strategies to become effective at lead generation. You must ensure you promote and market the individual page you are using.
Overall, your main goal is to ensure you have all the key elements described above to attract quality, targeted leads. The web copy on your landing page, or squeeze pages must be all about your prospects, and not about yourself.